Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Dr. Seth Meyers, Clinical Psychologist

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pop Culture: Are We Sure Racism and Homophobia Are Funny?


My family spent a few days in Las Vegas this past week, and I took in a show as I often do when I'm there. I chose to see "Absinthe," the tent show at Caesars Palace which has an outstanding set and nutty cast of characters. What struck me most about the show is how funny the majority of the audience found much of the racist and homophobic humor.

I' m sorry, but I will never laugh at a white person imitating a Chinese person saying, "I love P.F. Changs," or any other number of brain-dead jokes making fun of any group of people. Do the writers of such shows feel proud of creating such nonsense - and reinforcing such idiotic stereotypes? Maybe the writers and producers were only thinking about money, and this kind of humor clearly brings out the masses in droves.

On a personal level, I find it disappointing to see hundreds of people laughing at vulgar, finger- pointing humor. I could have done without this show!

No comments: